NCAA Tournament 2011: Saturday Predictions

Saturday, March 19, 2011


Here we are in Round 2 (Round 3) of the NCAA Tournament and I will make this one short and sweet.  First let me start off by saying this...Why is it when Richmond wins I get two messages saying great call, but when Villanova loses I get ten messages saying the following:
"What happened to Nova bro?"
"Great call on Villanova.  Never doubt Greg Anthony again."
"Hey dude, I just wanted to tell you I did not take your advice and pick Villanova.  Now I am happy and you are sad, which makes me happier."
"Don't worry big guy, it's ok...They need analysts for the NIT as well."
And so on.  Of the four games I picked, the only loss was Villanova.  I also said Wisconsin would win by 15. (They won by 14)  That is three out of four!  If I played baseball I'd be in the Hall of Fame! 
As you can see from my bracket, I may have had too much confidence in Nova.  It is what is referred to as a "bracket buster".  I decided to give my analysis on today's games whether you like it or not.
No. 4 Kentucky vs. No. 5 West Virginia
I have Kentucky in this one based strictly on Brandon Knight.  Knight had a tough time of it during the Wildcats opening round victory against Princeton, however Kentucky still moved on.  If Knight plays up to his ability today, the Mountaineers will be in trouble.
No. 2 Florida vs. No. 7 UCLA
 Here is another pick of mine that may end up being a mistake.  Florida on paper looks better in pretty much every way.  They have a stronger schedule, they play a more up-tempo style and the game is being played in Tampa, Fl.  But, like my old coach used to say, "That's why they play the games."
No. 12 Richmond vs. No. 13 Morehead St.
 I was sitting in the Costco parking lot during the end of the Richmond/Vanderbilt game on Thursday, praying that Richmond would pull it off.  One reason being, they were my first round upset special, and a win would make me look like a genius.  My other reason being, after an upset of Louisville by Morehead St, the Spiders would have a favorable match-up to make me look even more like a genius. 
In my original bracket I had the Spiders knocking off Louisville in a hard fought battle.  Now I have Richmond beating Morehead St. in a slightly less hard fought battle.
No. 7 Temple vs. No. 2 San Diego St.
 I rarely remember being as excited while watching a college basketball game, then I was during the Temple/Penn St. game.  The Owls pulled out the victory giving Coach Fran Dunphy his inaugural first round NCAA Tournament win since arriving on Broad St.
Now the Owls face a red hot San Diego St. team which easily disposed of Northern Colorado Thursday evening.  It didn't look like Temple played their best game against Penn St. Thursday.  If the Owls can put it together I think they will beat the Aztecs and move on to the Sweet Sixteen.
Didn't I say I was going to keep this short and sweet?  Ok, sorry.  For the remaining games scheduled today I will give you my pick and one word that sums up why.
No. 1 Pittsburgh vs. No. 8 Butler
Pittsburgh/ Defense
No .3 BYU vs. No. 11 Gonzaga
BYU/ Jimmer
No.4 Wisconsin vs. No. 5 Kansas St.
Wisconsin/ Execution
No. 3  Connecticut vs. No. 6 Cincinnati
UConn/ Kemba

0 comments:

Post a Comment